Monday, September 18, 2017

REVIEW: The Silent Corner

The Silent Corner
Author: Dean Koontz

Dean Koontz books are often hit and miss for me. Sometimes I love them. Other times he seems to repeat things from prior books too much (sentient or talking dogs, for example) and I end up DNF-ing the book. This time, I was pleasantly surprised. The Silent Corner is a Koontz victory for me!

Jane Hawk was an FBI agent before her husband killed himself. While his death is confirmed as a suicide, his behavior and the note he left seems odd to Jane. Very odd. Then she starts noticing a trend -- suicides of people who show no depression or suicidal tendencides previous to killing themselves, and bizarre suicide notes left behind. She quickly discovers that she is on the trail of a conspiracy when she begins to get death threats. Then the FBI puts her on leave. Jane is undeterred. The more threats she receives, the more she realizes she's on the right track. When they threaten to rape and murder her 5-year old son, she knows she has to disappear to protect her little boy. She goes completely off the grid to continue investigating what is making so many people kill themselves. What she discovers is absolutely terrifying.

This story tells a tale of the ultimate evil conspiracy. It's filled with action, suspense and surprises. I like the concept for this new series. Jane Hawk is intelligent, strong, and completely driven to achieve her goal. She uses her FBI training and experience to investigate her husband's death and to remain under the radar despite advanced surveillance methods. The second book, The Whispering Room, is coming out this November. I have a review copy on my TBR. I can't wait to read it!!

Completely and utterly happy that this offering by Koontz is different and not just a supernatural re-visit of plots he has done before. I was not disappointed this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment