Friday, December 14, 2018

REVIEW: Saban's Power Rangers: Soul of the Dragon

Saban's Power Rangers:
Soul of the Dragon
Author: Kyle Higgins
Illustrator: Giuseppe Cafaro
Also Also wik: Marcelo Costa, Ed Dukeshire, Nick Robles, Jason David Frank

Snow and The South just don't mix. Drop 8-18 inches of snow and ice across the NC foothills and you get a mess. My teenager has been out of school for an entire week....and I've been cooped up inside. A bit stir crazy today....and desperately wanting something entertaining to read. *Bing* Email alert. A lovely email from Bing! Studios with a link to look at this new release graphic novel.

Power Rangers!

Oh yeah! The day got brighter! Got my hot tea.....a nice fluffy blanket to be comfy at my desk...and got ready to get my nerd on. :) I am not the comic book/graphic novel fan that my husband is....he knows every character, every artist, every writer.....I bow to his knowledge. I can't compete. But....I love graphic novels and comic books! The art is amazing. The story lines interesting. And the characters, plots, histories are always creative and fascinating. So I'm not reading this from an uber expert point of view....but just from the simple joy that the art and action hold for me.

The basics: Tommy Oliver has retired from the Power Rangers. He's feeling his age, but sometimes really misses The Old Days. Plus, he's having a bit of a mid-life crisis after getting downsized from his teaching job. Then his son JJ disappears. Tommy comes out of retirement to find his son and bring him home.

I absolutely loved this story! I will admit I have not followed much of the MMPR stuff since the 90s television show in the US, but even I know the origins of the Green Ranger. I read the RangerWiki to catch up on Tommy's story. Green....white....red.....he's quite the legendary character. I love how this story brings him back for a last adventure. I was glad to see that they consulted Jason David Frank to get the continuity for this legendary character right. But even for someone that never watched the MMPR show or read any of the graphic novels/comic books, this story can be a great stand alone story.

The artwork is fantastic. The story is exciting and action-packed (but it wouldn't really be the Power Rangers without lots of action). It really made me feel nostalgic for the days when I watched the television show with my son.

Great story for those who have loved the Power Rangers for decades and new fans alike!




No comments:

Post a Comment