Saturday, March 4, 2023

REVIEW: The Devil You Know

 The Devil You Know
Author: P.J. Tracy


I first was introduced to the writing of  P.J. Tracy with the Monkeewrench series. So when the Detective Margaret Nolan books started being released, I jumped right on the new series. This series has never disappointed me. Gritty, police procedurals with realistic characters. Very enjoyable! The Devil You Know is the 3rd book in the series. 

The basics: Margaret is a detective in LA. Bad stuff happens every day. But it isn't every day the body of a famous actor is found only hours after a video was released that pretty much gutted his career. Was it an accident, suicide.....or murder? Another death makes it abundantly clear there is more going on here than a ruined career and a rockslide. Hollywood might glitter, but it can be dangerous. 

I enjoyed this book. There were a couple scenes I thought were a bit overly melodramatic, but it's a fictional tale about Hollywood, famous actors, and the dangerous undercurrents of the entertainment industry. Of course, melodrama should be expected. Overall, another really good book in this series! I'm definitely in line to keep reading! 

I started reading a digital ARC of this book before release....and then was offered a review copy of the audio book. So I started all over, and listened to the audio book. I'm all for suspenseful stories being read to me! Narrated by Abby Craden, the audio book is a bit over 7 hours long. Craden does a good job of voice acting. I'm picky about narrators, but enjoyed her performance. She reads at a nice pace and does a good job of voicing the different characters. Very entertaining! 

**I voluntarily read a review copy of the ebook from St Martins Press  and listened to the audio book from Dreamscape Media. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment