Sunday, August 27, 2023

REVIEW: Hemlock Island

 Hemlock Island
Author: Kelley Armstrong


There are scary stories....and then there are Scary Stories.  For me, I find the creepiest thriller/suspense stories are ones that keep me thinking "This could happen." I found myself frequently stopping while reading this book to think "Holy crap - something like this could actually happen to someone."

Going through a divorce during/after the pandemic isn't an uncommon thing. I'm going through one myself right now. Losing almost everything you own during a divorce and trying to hang on to the one thing you have left -- a house, property, whatever it may be -- is a common occurrence. But throw in being forced to rent the property to strangers and then having odd/creepy things happening that pulls in your ex, friends, relatives, etc.

For that house to be on an island. And, for all those people with awkward history to be trapped there together. Possibly with a killer. 

I was seriously creeped out by this story. 

At first I was pulled in by this new book because I enjoy Kelley Armstrong's writing. I've been a big fan of her Rockton series since it started, and just read the new novel in the spin-off series, Murder at Haven's Rock. But let's get real, if Kelley wrote it I would probably read the Encyclopedia of Stereo Instructions and love it. She's one of my favorite authors. 

Once I got started reading, I couldn't put the book down. Binge read time! The story seriously pulled me right in and creeped me the hell out. I love mysteries and thrillers that involve locked doors or a group of people not able to escape the situation. Ever since I read Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None, I have loved this sort of story! 

Well done, Kelley! I loved this book!! 

**I voluntarily an advanced review copy of this book from St. Martins Press. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment