Saturday, October 13, 2018

REVIEW: Coldfall Wood

Coldfall Wood
Author: Steven Saville

A sleeping god awakes. Danger. Murder. Mysterious illness. Bad things start happening.....and Joshua Raines will have to become a true hero, stepping up to fight an epic battle. The tale of Glass Town continues.....

When I accept ARC copies of books for review, I promise to write an honest review. And I always do. Even when I have to say that I just did not enjoy a book. I'm always constructive in my criticism, but I'm never going to be less than honest.

Not every book is for every reader. I say that because this book is just not something I can enjoy reading. So....much as I hate to do it....I DNF'd this book at 60%. I tried three times to finish so I could write a complete review....but finally I had to give up and declare it done.

Now....that doesn't mean that this is a bad book. It just means that I, personally, did not enjoy this story. I did not realize it was a continuation of the story started in Glass Town. Even though the book blurb said it can be read as a stand alone story, I found the plot, basic premise and characters confusing because I haven't read the first book. I couldn't get into the story because I didn't understand the motivation of the characters or if this was a mystery/crime investigation or supernatural story. The mixing of the two just didn't work for me in this case. This series is just not for me.

I have heard some very wonderful things about Steven Saville's other books...so I think I will try another selection and see if it's a better fit for me. I did a bit of looking around at other reviews and found many readers like this series....I'm glad. :) It just is not a good fit for me.

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from St Martin's Press via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment