Tuesday, October 23, 2018

REVIEW: Vault of Frankenstein

Vault of Frankenstein
Author: Paul Ruditis

I love tales about monsters! Frankenstein has been one of my favorite classic monsters ever since I watched the old black and white movies with my dad as a child. I grew to love the character even more when I read the book that started it all. I have to admit I didn't read the classic book by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley until I was in college. I first came to enjoy the character based on all the cheesy monster movies, scary tales and pop culture references that morphed out of her tale. I have since read the book many, many times and love both the original character and the more Holllywood version.

The book Vault of Frankenstein traces the history of the character from the book's publication in 1818 through all the related novels, plays, movies and pop culture references. Frankenstein's monster has grown from a monstrous creation that didn't even have a name to a pop culture force all its own.

This book is just awesome! Not only does it give detailed facts about Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley, the book, the history of the character, the films, related novels and plays, actors who played the monster, and the pop culture history of the character, but the book is filled with many amazing illustrations and photos as well. I love how there are pictures of everything from Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley's original hand written manuscript pages to Frankenstein themed postage stamps.

I have always loved the fact that the book grew out of a bet among friends during a boring, rainy summer in 1816. I wonder what Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley would think about the amazing journey her character has taken over the past 200 years? I think she would be impressed that the monster has taken on a life of its own....just like in the book. Just a bit less lonely and hopeless.

This is a beautiful book! After reading a review copy, I immediately ordered a copy for our keeper shelf. As a lover of classic monsters, I just had to have this book. The facts and descriptions are so interesting and the photos are awesome! Definitely full stars from this Frankenstein fan!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Quarto Publishing via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment