Tuesday, April 30, 2019

REVIEW: The Invited

The Invited
Author: Jennifer McMahon

Helen and Nate buy 44 acres near Hartsboro, Vermont to build their dream home. A mile outside of the nearby village, it's the country setting they envision for their life together. But....the property comes with a violent and haunted past. Almost a century before, Hattie Breckenridge was hanged on the property, accused of being a witch. Helen becomes obsessed with the story of Hattie, and the two generations of Breckenridge women since the hanging. The story evolves into a gothic ghost story with a bit of an unexpected twist.

This is the first book by Jennifer McMahon that I've read. I have read a short piece, Hannah-Beast, from Amazon Originals by McMahon. I like how this story doesn't just develop into a formula story about a haunting. The past wraps itself around the present as the story of Hattie and her descendants unfolds. It makes for a much more complex...and creepy....story.

I enjoyed this book. The characters and plot developed in ways I didn't expect. I love it when I expect a formula story and get surprised! I've added several thrillers by McMahon to my TBR list. I like her writing style and hope to find her other books as enjoyable as this one.

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Doubleday Books via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own. **

No comments:

Post a Comment