Wednesday, February 3, 2021

REVIEW: The Manhood of Edward Robinson

 The Manhood of Edward Robinson
Author: Agatha Christie


This short story by Agatha Christie was first published in The Grand Magazine in December 1924. It was later published in the story collection, The Listerdale Mystery, in the UK in 1934. It was not published in the United States until The Golden Ball and Other Stories came out in 1971. 

Edward Robinson is feeling a bit controlled by his fiance, Maud. The girl won't marry him until he has more money saved up and is always the voice of common sense. Sometimes Edward doesn't want only common sense...so he rebels a bit!  He wins money in a contest and buys a car, purposefully not telling Maud so he can have a bit of a lark. To his surprise, he ends up having more adventure than he planned! 

This is s cute and very entertaining story! I don't have a copy of The Listerdale Msytery, so listened to the audio of this story from a copy of The Golden Ball and Other Stories (HarperAudio, narrated by Hugh Fraser). 

This story was adapted for television in 1982 for the show The Agatha Christie Hour (episode 10). Very enjoyable episode, although they do change the story just a little bit. It was a minor enough change that it didn't bother me. 

I'm really enjoying these little short stories. This is the first time I have read any of these. After loving Christie's books for a very long time, it's so much fun to fill in the gaps and read everything she wrote! It will take me a good long while...but I have made it to the 1930s in my quest to read her writing in publication order. I'm taking my time and savoring each story....going down rabbit holes to research whatever strikes my fancy. Having a great time! 

On to the next story! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment