Tuesday, February 16, 2021

REVIEW: The Strange Case of Sir Arthur Carmichael

 The Strange Case of Sir Arthur Carmichael
Author: Agatha Christie


Dr Edward Carstairs is called in to investigate a case. It seems the personality and behavior of young Sir Arthur Carmichael changed overnight and others in the house hear the strange yowling of a cat at night.

This story was first published in The Hound of Death in 1933 (UK). It was not published in the United States until 1971 (The Golden Ball and Other Stories). It has never been adapted for television or radio. I can understand why -- for me, this was the strangest Christie story I have read so far. I can't explain why without including spoilers. Let's just say....bizarre and unrealistic are two keys words. BUT -- that being said -- I still enjoyed the story. 

I listened to an audio version of this story read by Christopher Lee. (The Golden Ball and Other Stories - HarperAudio). Christopher Lee does such a great job as narrator. His voice just brings out the strangeness of this tale. 

Out of all the Christie stories I have read so far on my journey through all of her works, this is my least favorite so far. Just a bit too weird....  I didn't hate it, but I didn't exactly like it either. Creepy? Yes. Believable. No. Still entertaining....but really weird.

On to the next! 

No comments:

Post a Comment