Sunday, January 28, 2018

REVIEW: Return to Labyrinth Vol 2

Return to Labyrinth Vol 2
Author: Jake T. Forbes
Illustrator: Chris Lie

Return to Labyrinth is a 4-part American style manga series from Tokyo Pop. Several years ago I was given the first 3 books in the series, but never had the final book. As part of a personal goal this year to read more books that I really want to read and from my own shelves, I have ordered a copy of the 4th book. I will finally get to read the end of this revisit to Labyrinth! Well, that's assuming my order ships and I receive the book. (lol) With a sense of optimism, I have begun reading the first three volumes in the series again. I want to be ready to tear right into the package and start reading when book 4 arrives!

This series is set more than 10 years after the movie. Toby is a teenager and has been lured into the labyrinth by Jareth, The Goblin King. Jareth announces his intention to make Toby his heir. There is an evil queen and several other baddies who are not in favor of this choice. Soon after announcing his heir, Jereth disappears, leaving Toby as the new king. In flashbacks, it is discovered that Jareth entered into a wager with Queen Mizumi. He has 13 years to fulfill his part of the bet, or his kingdom and everything in it reverts to the control of the queen. There's only a week left...and Jereth is missing. Will he complete his task in time, or lose everything? And what will happen to Toby who now finds himself the new Goblin King? Volume 2 reveals the bet, Toby's decision to learn to be Goblin King, and a strange revelation about Moppet, a servant of the Mayor of Goblin City.

I like this series. The artwork is a wonderful mix of familiar characters from the movie and manga style artwork. The cover art, by Kouyu Shurei, is awesome! The storyline is interesting and adds in some new characters like Moppet, Mizumi and her daughters Drumlin and Moulin, and Skub. I'm glad that I will finally be able to read how the story ends, once I have book 4!










No comments:

Post a Comment