Tuesday, January 22, 2019

REVIEW: The Book Thief

The Book Thief
Author: Markus Zusak

This story is absolutely haunting and beautiful. This book languished on my TBR list for a long time before I had the courage to read it. To be honest, I had a couple false starts at this book before I could really get into the story. I get overwhelmed by books about the Holocaust. It breaks my heart. I'm glad I finally decided to start reading and not stop.

This isn't an easy story to love. It's filled with war, death, fear, grief.....but also deep love, friendship, understanding and beauty. To have light, there has to be darkness. I found it fitting that the story is actually narrated by Death. As he roams through Europe picking up the souls of people dying in the war, he becomes interested in the girl....the one who will be known as The Book Thief. Starting with her very first book stolen from a grave digger's assistant, Liesel Meminger uses books to get through the war years. She finds them....borrows them.....steals them. Liesel learns the power of words. They can be used to heal....or to destroy.

I haven't watched the movie version of this story yet, as I have a rule that I have to read the book first. I'm hoping the movie sticks closely to the book....this tale is just about perfect just the way it is.

I listened to the audiobook version of The Book Thief (Penguin Random House Audio). At just under 14 hours long, the story is narrated by Allan Corduner. Corduner gives a great performance, voicing and acting the different characters with great skill. I have partial hearing loss but was easily able to hear and understand this entire book.

I think my favorite character is Rosa Hubermann. She seems so angry and gruff, but she is actually a very loving, kind person. She calls both Hans and Liesel pigs -- saukurl and saumensch -- all through the book. And Liesel and her best friend use those same terms for each other. The words end up endearments rather than curse words.

Great book! I have the DVD on the way from Netflix as of today -- I hope the movie is just as good!

No comments:

Post a Comment