Sunday, April 7, 2024

REVIEW: The Three-Body Problem

 The Three-Body Problem
Author: Cixin Liu


This trilogy has been on my TBR list for a long time. Finding out about the Netflix series pushed it up to the top of my list. I have a personal policy that if a show is based on a book, I have to read the book (or in this case, books) first. 

I knew the basic concept before I started reading. But purposely avoided any reviews or commentaries on the books or author before I started reading. I didn't want any spoilers or outside opinions to hold any sway over my own opinion or enjoyment of the trilogy. 

I followed my usual reading method for classics or books that involve a lot of foreign language words -- I listened to an audio book version while also reading the text. I bought a paperback edition and the audio book from Audible narrated by Luke Daniels. The audio is about 13.5 hours long. 

The audio performance was good. Daniels read at an even pace, and as far as I could tell did a good job pronouncing Chinese names correctly. I'm glad I chose to listen and read at the same time! I would have butchered every Chinese word or fumbled over them in my mind the entire time.

The story -- wow! There's a lot to take in. While there are hard sci-fi elements involved, I was pulled in more by the different feel of the story. It's told from the Chinese perspective, and that changed the feel of the book. It's the first time I've read a story where Chinese history, culture and science are represented without outside interpretation, if that makes sense. It wasn't an America story with a anti-communist filter thrown in.There is some real discussion of the Cultural Revolution and the controlling nature of Chinese politics, but those points further the depictions of the characters and don't act as plot points themselves. The science and the main story created around that science are the main catalysts in play. Loved it! 

I saw a few articles in passing regarding outcry about this book being translated into English or made into a Netflix series.I didn't read any of these articles in depth because I'm trying not to read any outside opinions until I've read all 3 books. But I did read an opening paragraph or two before leaving these articles behind. I'm fully against book banning. Other cultures, ideologies, and governments do exist on this planet. Attempting to ban translating fiction from different cultures into English based on fear of other ideologies is small-minded.  The argument against translating Chinese literature into English feels very racist and closed minded to me. Nobody is attempting to groom readers into being Communist through science fiction novels. There is just no room in modern society for ridiculous reactionary opinions like that. It's not the 1950's red scare era. Read the book or don't....but don't try to limit other people's access to foreign fiction based on fear of another culture. Book banning is wrong.  Don't like it - don't read it. Don't want your kids reading it -- don't allow them to read it. But don't ever assume anyone has the right to limit other people's access to books. Plus, as I stated above, Chinese government and politics plays a small role in the plot to detail the experiences, motivation and surroundings of the characters...and nothing more.

I'm not going to share a lot of plot details to avoid spoilers. The basic premise: In the 1960s, a scientist broadcasts a message into space....and receives a response. Confirmed alien presence in the universe causes a struggle between different factions with differing ideas of how humanity should respond. I'm not giving away any more information than what a reader could learn from the basic book blurb. 

I enjoyed this book! I already have a paperback copy of the second book, The Dark Forest, and an audio book copy ready to go! I can't wait to find out how the story continues!



No comments:

Post a Comment