Wednesday, July 3, 2019

REVIEW: Teen Titans - Raven

Teen Titans - Raven
Author: Kami Garcia
Artist: Gabriel Picolo


My husband is a big time comics fan and has been for 40+ years. He has a rather extensive collection and knows the background story and facts about almost every character. DC, Marvel, Indy.....he's read them all. I enjoy comics, too. But I'm definitely playing catch up when it comes to my knowledge base. I wasn't allowed to read comic books (unless they featured Disney characters) as a child. My mother didn't approve of them. Fifteen years ago when I married my husband, suddenly I was surrounded by thousands of comic books....and I'm enjoying the experience!

Raven. Before I read this eGalley, I had never read anything about this member of the Teen Titans. Or any of the Teen Titans, to be honest. I read my copy of this book and then talked to my husband about the character. My only experience with the Teen Titans prior to this is the rather silly television cartoon. I'm glad I read this graphic novel. It changed my opinion of the Teen Titans. I'm anxious to read more!

Not sure what more knowledgeable Teen Titans fans will think of this book. As a newcomer to Teen Titans and Raven, I loved it! Not going to fall into discussions of continuity, character development, etc etc....because I knew nothing about Raven before reading this book. For me, the story was engaging. I like the character. And the story kept my full attention from beginning to end.

The basics: Raven Roth is 17 when her foster mother is killed in a car accident. Sent to live with her foster mom's sister, Raven has lost her memory. She doesn't remember who she is...she doesn't remember her foster mom...she doesn't even remember what food or candy she likes. She just knows something is wrong. Loud noise bothers her. And she can sense the emotions and thoughts of everyone around her. Traversing high school is very very very difficult when the very thoughts of the other students are a constant bombardment. Add in the visions, nightmares and feelings of dread, and Raven feels like she is going crazy. Who is she? Why can she do the things she does? As she slowly discovers the truth and learns to control her "gifts,'' she realizes there is a lot more to her powers than hearing thoughts.

I love the artwork in this book! Even in the unfinished pages of a digital galley copy, I could tell the art is just outstanding! It makes the story pop and conveys the emotions of a confused, lost teenage girl who doesn't understand what is happening to her.


I enjoyed watching this character develop from a scared teenage girl into a much stronger, determined fledgling super through the course of this story. She learns what family is....learns lessons on trusting people and betrayal....and discovers that she has more strength, intelligence and potential than she ever dreamed. Lovely origin story!

I am very much enjoying these updated tales about DC teenage superheroes. I recently read another new YA graphic novel about Catwoman that gave some new dimensions to the character. I liked this new look at Raven even more!

I'm glad I read this book! The art is outstanding....the plot line is awesome! I have officially changed my opinion of the Teen Titans now that I've read a serious story about one of them. I look forward to learning more about the other members of the team, and reading more about Raven.

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from DC Entertainment via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment