Saturday, June 4, 2016

REVIEW: Real Murders by Charlaine Harris

Real Murders
Author: Charlaine Harris

Aurora "Roe'' Teagarden is a librarian in Lawrenceton, Georgia. She's also a true crime enthusiast and member of a crime buff club called Real Murders. The group meets once a month at the VFW hall to discuss a famous murder case. This month it's Roe's turn. She is scheduled to talk to the group about the Julia Wallace murder in 1931. But before she can give her presentation, one of their members is found dead on the floor of the VFW kitchen, posed just like Julia Wallace was when she was murdered.

The killing doesn't stop there....and each subsequent death is also modeled after a famous case.

Who is killing the members of Real Murders? Is it one of  the club? Or someone who just wants to make it look that way?

Roe and other members of Real Murders know they need to work together to solve the case before any more of them become suspects....or victims!

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I loved the Southern Vampire series with Sookie Stackhouse....and recently started reading the Harper Connelly series. So when I found out there was yet another Charlaine Harris mystery series about a sleuthing librarian, I knew I had to get my hands on the first book!  And I was not disappointed!

Aurora Teagarden is a likable main character. She knows that having a murder discussion group is a bit macabre, but she doesn't back down her passion for researching old famous cases. The supporting characters are all pretty much the usual cozy fare, but well written even if they aren't deeply developed. The plot was fun and interesting.

The story was well paced, and kept me interested til the end. I especially liked the information on actual old murder cases sprinkled here and there within the story. I looked up the cases that were mentioned and even added a couple books to my TBR list because the history sounded so interesting!  If there was a Real Murders club in real life, I would have to be a member! I understand the group's fascination. My television is on ID, Cloo or other crime investigation channels constantly, and I read a lot of books on famous crimes.

An enjoyable light, cozy read! I will definitely read the rest of this series. There are 8 books in the series, and a 9th is scheduled for release in October 2016.

FYI:  The Hallmark channel is making a movie version that will show on its Hallmark Movies & Mysteries television channel in July.

No comments:

Post a Comment