Tuesday, November 22, 2016

REVIEW: Harry Potter & The Cursed Child

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
Authors: J.K. Rowling, John Thorne, John Tiffany

I have to admit that I kept this book on my TBR shelf for several weeks before I worked up enough courage to read it. I love the Harry Potter series, and frankly I didn't expect to enjoy reading a screen play. Plus I'd heard rumblings about some of the characterizations in the book being disappointing for some readers. I wanted to read the book in the worst way....but didn't want to read it at the same time.

Finally, I took a deep breath and decided to not look at this book as a continuation of the series in any way. I made up my mind to think of it as it's own story with familiar characters.

The basics: Harry Potter's son Albus and Draco Malfoy's son Scorpius become besties at Hogworts. Albus feels like he can never live up to people's expectations of him because he is Harry Potter's son. Battling major teen angst and self-doubt, Albus decides to use a time-turner to go back in time to right a wrong, taking his pal Scorpius with him. And, as we all know, travelling around in time and changing events always has unexpected results. Chaos ensues.

It didn't take me long to get engrossed in the story, even with the screenplay format. And, I enjoyed it. I didn't love it....but I really enjoyed the story. It would be better seeing it performed on the stage rather than reading the lines and staging details, but I'm still glad I finally took the time to read it.

I'm not going to give any spoilers. Fans of the Harry Potter series will enjoy this book. But know beforehand that this is a play adaptation, and not a new novel. And it reads a lot like fan fiction. It's not a new installment in the Harry Potter series. It's....well, let's be honest....it's a way to keep the money rolling in on the HP franchise even without new books. As is the new movie that came out this week.

But that's ok. I gladly read the book. And I'm going to see the movie tomorrow with my son. Just recognize it for what it is going in.....and you won't be disappointed.

One observation that doesn't give any plot spoilers. I never expected to love a Malfoy.....but Draco's son was my favorite character in this book. :) That was a pleasant surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment