Friday, December 1, 2017

REVIEW: A Spoonful of Magic

A Spoonful of Magic
Author: Irene Radford

Daphne "Daffy" Deschants is livid. She has photos showing her husband in a compromising position with another woman at a sleezy motel. She knows what drama her finally being tired of his fooling around is going to cause, but she's had it. She confronts him....and the drama starts. But it's so much more than she expected. Come to find out her husband is not a travelling for his job with a software company. He's a wizard....a sheriff for the International Guild of Wizards. His job is dangerous. Yeah....he's a letch and a cheater. But he's so much more. Then, her children start manifesting magical talents.....and even herself. Her perfect life is pretty well disintegrating.....and completely changing. But that's not all......her husband's ex-wife is an evil witch. Literally. She's going blind, and she wants her son's eyes. Daphne has raised the boy as her own since he was a baby. And she's not about to let his mother hurt him. Can she figure out how to use her new powers to protect her family?

I really really really (really x 10) wanted to like this book. But, I have to be honest and say that I didn't. The main characters are annoying. The husband is a jerk. The wife is whiny and annoying. The kids....annoying too. I just didn't connect with any of them. The writing style and short paragraphs weren't my cup of tea either. The premise itself was intriguing. But the story just never gelled for me. I can't find any one thing that I can say "This right here is the reason I didn't enjoy this book.'' I just think the whole thing was just not for me. That's life -- not everything is enjoyable for everyone. I gave it the best try I could....I read the entire book. Then I thought about it for a couple days before writing this review.  My conclusion -- I really tried to like this story and the characters. There were some cute moments....and some enjoyable bits here and there. But overall, this was not the book for me. And as a reviewer, I have to be totally honest and rank it as truthfully as possible. I thank the author and Berkley Publishing for allowing me to review this book, but it just fell flat for me. It happens.

Other readers who like light stories with magic, humor and some family drama might like this tale better than I did.

**I read an advanced readers copy of this book from Berkley via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**




No comments:

Post a Comment