Tuesday, July 6, 2021

REVIEW: Fallen

 Fallen
Author: Linda Castillo


I have been a fan of the Kate Burkholder series since book 1 published in 2009. I read each book eagerly as it comes out. Fallen is the 13th book...and I enjoyed it just as much as the first!

The basics: A young formerly Amish girl is found beaten to death in a motel room. Kate Burkholder feels a strong emotional tie to this story because she is also formerly Amish and is now the police chief in the area where she grew up. Rachael was never one to obey the rules...that's why she is no longer living with the Amish. But, why such a violent, gruesome death? Kate is determined to find out the truth. 

Another great story in this series! I had a review copy of the book and the audio book, so switched back and forth between the two. When I didn't have time to read the ebook, I started up the audio book! Definitely enough suspense to keep my interest from start to finish! The investigation portion of the plot revved up quickly and kept the pace up until the end. There were a few twists I didn't expect, and the ending was awesome! And, the role of Kate's boyfriend, John Tomasetti, was toned down a bit in this book. He's still there...still supportive....still assists....but just LESS. That was a relief for me, as the Tomasetti was spread on a bit thick in a couple of the past books. I want investigation....and less boyfriend. This book delivers that. Still a few kisses and his concern for Kate putting herself in danger, but he isn't mentioned on every page and isn't a key player in the entire investigation. Much better. A little Tomasetti goes a long way. :) 

The audio book is narrated by Kathleen McInerney. She always does a great job of narration! She voices all the characters with skill, even the male characters. Very entertaining listening experience. 

Loved this new book! Can't wait to find out what happens next! 

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book (St Martins Press) and audio book (Macmillan Audio). All opinions expressed are entirely my own**

No comments:

Post a Comment