Wednesday, July 7, 2021

REVIEW: The Maidens

 The Maidens
Author: Alex Michaelides


Therapist Mariana Andros is sure she knows who killed her niece. Very sure. And she's determined to prove it. So determined that she becomes obsessed. She will prove Edward Fosca is a killer, though it may cost everything she has. Her career. Her credibility. Even her life. 

Lots of Greek tragedy vibes in this story. It's not overdone....just gives the suspense and story a bit more depth. The plot is a slow build. In the beginning, I was a bit confused, but kept listening....as the story built, things became clearer. I wish I could say I saw the ending coming, but I didn't. Nicely done! I do have to admit that I really didn't like any of the characters in this story, but I don't believe I was meant to. Mariana became so shrill, mentally fragile and annoying by the end of things....but that really was her purpose. And Fosca...so above it all and that overeducated, overprivileged weird icky vibe. And the "maidens'' -- disturbing. But.....an author who can make me actively dislike characters is doing their job. Definitely invoked an emotional response. And the story definitely kept my attention. All in all, an entertaining listening experience. 

I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. I didn't read the blurb. I didn't read any online reviews or opinions. I just jumped in and started listening with no prior knowledge. I find I enjoy slow-build, suspense stories like this so much more that way! I wanted it to keep me off balance until it was time for me to see the plot threads all pull together So enjoyable! 

This is the first book by Alex Michaelides that I've read. I will definitely be reading more! Narrated by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith, the audio is just over 9 hours long. Smith has a pleasant voice, reads at a nice pace and gives a very good voice-acting performance. All in all, a very entertaining listening experience. 

**I voluntarily read/listened to a review copy of this book from Macmillan Audio. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment