Wednesday, May 4, 2022

REVIEW: Carl's Doomday Scenario

 Carl's Doomsday Scenario 
Dungeon Crawler Carl #2
Author: Matt Dinniman


I am not a binger.  I'm always a season or two behind on television shows because I watch a few episodes and pause to digest what I've seen so far. Then I come back and view more, etc.  Frustrates my husband to no end as he always wants to discuss the ending with me....and I'm forever 8 episodes or more behind him. Same with books. I don't want to hit the current book and have to wait a year on a cliff hanger to find out what happens, so I meander my way through a series.  Just not a binger.

Until this series.

A friend recommended this series to me. I read the blurb for book one, and got the audio. Loved it! Next thing I know I've listened all the way through to the end of book 3, and have book 4 queued up on Audible. Binge-city. It's not just Dinniman's mix of adventure and humor -- it's that darn Jeff Hays. Comes sauntering in like he's the best and narrates the complete shit out of these books. I couldn't stop listening!  And now I'm going to catch up to the writer and be stuck waiting.... I learned my lesson with that red wedding writing non-publishing author that shall not be named. Or the comic series with Wolverine's legs up a damn mountain.....and no next issue. Jeff Hays made me break my cardinal rule....I binged. I binged hard. In my excuse, I couldn't help it. So good. I even snorted my coffee at one point when Princess Donut had a moment. 

Darn Jeff Hays. Now I'm looking for other books he's narrated. Dude, you are so good at what you do! And Dinniman -- I work in social services. It's been 2 years of complete crap for me.....but your books made me smile and just have a good time. Such a fun series! I recommend this series to any fan of LitRPG or adventure fantasy. Definitely. And I feel better about the binge -- book 5 about ready to come out on audio. And I can meander through some other books offered through Sound Booth Theater while I'm waiting on Dinniman to churn out more Carl

Love this series! Love the characters! Just entertaining and fun. I did learn one lesson though -- never report to the end of the world in your underwear and a leather jacket. Not a good idea. :)

Definitely reading this series until the very last dungeon floor.  And Jeff Hays is at the top of my favorite narrator/voice actor list with Scott Brick, Neil Gaiman, Wil Wheaton and Ray Porter. Yep -- that good, in my opinion. I can't pick a fav -- you guys all grouped up at the #1 spot. It takes a lot to make a caseworker laugh out loud at the tail end of a two year pandemic -- but ya got me Jeff. Several times. 

:) All smiles here!  Publish more Carl, Dinniman!! :) 

I hear tell that Matt Dinniman is going to be in Charlotte, NC at Dragon Con in August.  I may just send one of my minions to buy me a signed book. Damn it, Dinniman -- making me a fan girl. Ruining my curmudgeon rep. Sigh. 

Great series, guys! If you are into LitRPG -- read it! Or listen like I did. Jeff Hays gives a great performance. Too good at times -- I spit water all over myself when he bleated like a screaming goat guy. Don't drink and listen -- dangerous.  Well, damp any way. 




No comments:

Post a Comment