Saturday, May 7, 2022

REVIEW: The Deepest of Secrets

 The Deepest of Secrets
Author: Kelley Armstrong


The Rockton series is one of my favorites! I love the setting, the characters and just the premise itself....a town hidden in the Canadian wilderness where people in trouble go to disappear for awhile. It makes for great suspense novels! 

The Deepest of Secrets is the 7th book in the series. This time, the residents of Rockton are on edge. Every one of them came to the hidden town to hide out and keep their past secrets private But someone is revealing information and the threat of exposure causes the residents to start turning on each other. Soon the situation escalates from gossip to violence. Can Detective Casey Duncan find out who is behind it all before things spiral completely out of control?

This story starts off at a slow burn....with the plot developing over the first half of the book. And then it just really takes off. I was hooked on each word. After 7 books I'm invested in these characters and what happens to them.....so I totally binge read this one! I enjoy Casey and her lover Eric Dalton (Rockton's sheriff) as main characters. They work well together to keep things safe in Rockton, and I just like the characters in general. They've been through a lot in seven books! 

I read somewhere that this might be the last book....I hope not! I'm definitely in line for the next book if there is one...love this series! 

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from St Martins Press. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

5/5/2022 -- I initially read a digital review copy of this book back in February. This series is one of my favorites so after publication I picked up the audio book. Decided to listen to it while on vacation this week. Such a good story! The audio book is narrated by Therese Plummer. She does an excellent job of bringing the story to life. She reads at a good pace, and gives an excellent voice acting performance. Loved it! But....from what I have read, this is the last novel in the series. The ending was perfect for a novel, but not really a closure for a series IMHO. Maybe there will be a spinoff series? Or maybe it's just done without all the loose ends being safely tucked away. That may actually be a better choice for an ending, as the characters were all hiding their past and their lives from the outside world. Great series! 

No comments:

Post a Comment