Monday, May 9, 2022

REVIEW: Dark Stars

 Dark Stars
Author: Various


What do horror writers do during lockdown? They write! This bewitchingly dark collection of 12 stories is the product of an idea in the mind of Editor John Taff mixed with the weird situation in 2020. Who expected the entire world to basically shut down for an extended period? So bizarre....but the perfect backdrop for horror. Perfect timing for Taff to turn his idea into an actual project!

12 stories. Vastly different stories. Everything from slow burn to AHHHHHHHH!!!!! As with any story collection, there were some that I loved and some that just didn't resonate with me at all. But that's perfect -- it means this is a varied and diverse anthology. These stories are imaginative, different and chilling. Some of the writers are new to me -- I love books and stories from "new to me'' writers to my TBR pile. And some of these stories were by writers that I've read before. It was awesome to read a bit of short fiction by familiar storycrafters to see what creepiness they could impart in the brevity of short story. I'm happy to say that although some of the stories weren't scary for me or didn't pull me in like some others did, I did enjoy each one. I loved the fact that these tales are not merely variations on a single theme or style....but each is unique and completely different. 

I read one story per day for 12 days. And after reading each tale, I did my usual clicking around on the internet to find out some info on each author and their collection of writing. My TBR is a bit bigger and my enjoyment of horror a bit more varied since reading this collection. That's the gift of short stories....you get a taste of the writer's style that leaves you wanting more! 

My favorite story? Mrs. Addison's Nest by Josh Malerman. Followed closely by The Familiar's Assistant by Alma Katsu. Malerman's story is different and creepy-strange. I liked it because it's weird and the ending is vague. It leaves much to the imagination. Who really trusts a high school librarian? I kept thinking of one school librarian I had growing up that had creepy vibes....sucked me right into the story because I kept seeing her as Mrs. Addison in my mind. Alma Katsu's vampire tale is short, but develops into a coldly undead nightmare. Loved it! 

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this anthology from Macmillin/Tor-Forge. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**


No comments:

Post a Comment