Saturday, December 31, 2022

REVIEW: The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern

 The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern
Author: Lillian Jackson Braun


I first started reading this series when I was in college. There were only a few books at that time. Lillian Jackson Braun wrote the first 3 books in the 1960s, and then continued the series starting in 1986. I loved the early books! But life happened and I lost track of this series for a very long time.

Flash forward a couple decades. I decided to read my way through this whole series starting back at the very beginning! Loving it!

The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern is book 2 in this series. Jim Qwilleran continues to work at the Daily Fluxion putting out a Sunday special magazine on interior decorating. The assignment isn't making him exactly happy because everytime he publishes an article on an art collection or a wonderfully decorated home...something horrible happens! A break-in and theft. A police sting. A murder. Jim just can't seem to catch a break! At least no matter what happens he still has his strangely intelligent sidekick -- his Siamese cat, Koko.

At under 200 pages for the paperback edition, this book was a quick and very enjoyable read. The reporter/newspaper journalism portion of the plot is quite outdated, but the mystery is still spot on. I love how Koko seemingly gives Jim clues, and how Jim's mustache tingles when he's on the right track. Just a fun series to read! The series changes quite a bit when it hits the 4th book, published in 1986. I like the first three books, but I prefer the Qwilleran character once his life changes a bit in the 4th book.

Moving on -- The Cat Who Turned On and Off is next!! :) There are 29 books in this series, plus a couple short story collections. I'm going to be reading for awhile! But, I'm ok with that! Glad to finally be going back and reading this series!

No comments:

Post a Comment