Friday, May 17, 2024

REVIEW: City of Endless Night

 City of Endless Night
Author: Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child


City of Endless Night is the 17th book in the Aloysius Pendergast series. 

I've been working my way through this series over the past couple of years. Love it! It has such an interesting mix of suspense, crime investigation, supernatural and strangeness that I keep coming back to read more. There are 22 books in this series (newest one coming out in July 2024) as I write this review. So, I have almost caught up! 

Pendergast is a brilliant investigator. He's like a modern day Sherlock Holmes with an edge of weirdness and supernatural strangeness to him. Makes for a great read! 

This time Pendergast is working alongside Lieutenant Vincent D'Agosta once again to solve a string of grisly murders. The Decapitator is leaving a string of high profile people dead....their heads neatly severed and taken away from the scene. 

Although I was a bit disappointed at the killer's motivation for his killings, the investigation, suspects and surprises kept my attention on the story from start to finish. The last few chapters had me riveted! I wasn't sure how things were going to turn out!

There wasn't much character development in this book. It was all about the murder investigation. I'm curious about how some personal issues between Pendergast and Constance Greene are going to turn out. Much as I want that drama to play out, I was glad this book centered on the investigation rather than delving too much into side plots. It kept the suspense going until the very end. 

Another great book in this series!! 

In a way I want to catch up so I'm current on the series, but I dread finishing that last book. I am not patient and just hate waiting for a year or two to find out what happens to characters in my favorite books. But it will be awhile....I have 5 books to go before I catch up with Preston & Child! 

I listened to the audio book version of this Pendergast novel. The audio book is just shy of 11 hours long and narrated by Rene Auberjonois. Rene passed away in 2019. He narrated the Pendergast series through book 18. His performances were totally perfect! I get to enjoy one more before the narration changes over to the new voice actor, Jefferson Mays. I'm sure Mays is great, but I will miss the way Rene Auberjonois brought Pendergast to life! I will make sure to savor the audio for book 18!!

No comments:

Post a Comment