Sunday, May 19, 2024

REVIEW: If Books Could Kill

 If Books Could Kill
Author: Kate Carlisle


I enjoyed the first book in the Bibliophile Mystery series so much that I jumped right into the second one. This time, Brooklyn Wainwright is in Scotland for the Edinburgh Book Fair. The skilled bookbinder has been looking forward to this trip for months, but things take a dark turn due to a book of poetry with a scandalous history. The book certainly brings excitement to Brooklyn's book fair week, but she wasn't expecting murder, death threats and kidnapping!

I enjoyed this story. The plot moves at a nice pace and kept my attention from start to finish. There is a lot of action and investigation. I would have preferred less romance as it got to be a bit much and completely unrealistic, but the mystery portion of the plot was still strong. Brooklyn is intelligent and does a pretty good job as an amateur sleuth, but the romance angle hangs too much on her being "saved" by sexy men at almost every turn. Really? Ugh. It caused a few eye-roll moments as I read, but didn't really have a negative effect on my enjoyment of the book. 

Enjoying this series! I'd love to have a bit more detail on bookbinding and restoration thrown in. I'm hoping book 3 steps back a bit on the romance angle. More books, less groping. I hope. lol. 

From the cover art I thought there would be a cat come into the story line. And at one point, a cat did play an important part, but then disappeared. No cat yet.....I see a kitty on the cover for book 3 as well. Maybe this feline won't run off so fast? 

On to book 3! 



No comments:

Post a Comment