Saturday, May 18, 2024

REVIEW: Homicide in Hardcover

 Homicide in Hardcover
Author: Kate Carlisle



I enjoy reading cozy mysteries. The stories usually have cute pets, interesting side plots, quirky characters, and a lot of amateur sleuthing. My job can be a bit high stress at times, and these books are a great brain break -- an escape into a story that I find relaxing, enjoyable and entertaining to read. No spurting blood. No majorly adult themes. Some cute dialogue and situations. A nice break from reality. Love it! 

I've been wanting to read Kate Carlisle's Bibliophile Mystery series for some time. I even checked book one out of the library TWICE and never got a chance to actually read it. Life, work, situations got in the way both times and I had to return the book (out of renewals) both times before I even cracked the cover to start reading. ARGH! 

So....I bought the first few books in the series so I don't have to return them on a due date. I figured if the books were in my bedroom on my bookshelf where I would see them every day, I would pick them up and read the series, right? Flash forward six months and I finally picked up book one and read it! 

So glad I did! I enjoyed every word! 

Brooklyn Wainwright is a great main character. She restores valuable, old books, has parents who live in a commune, and stress eats when things get too messy. She's just the right mix of feisty and intelligent, and does a great job of amateur sleuthing.

The plot moved along at a nice pace. The background plot of book restoration didn't overshadow the mystery, but added a nice flavor to the story. There were plenty of murder suspects and lots of investigation. The book kept my attention from start to finish and I didn't guess the murderer before the reveal. 

Very glad I finally started reading this series! 

I love the background of book restoration. I love old books.When holding an old book in my hands, I always wonder who owned the book before, how many people read and enjoyed the book before me, and what the book's history is. Love the fact that the main character in this series restores old, very valuable books. It's definitely a form of art restoration! 

I like the characters. There is variety in the people around Brooklyn and I felt each was represented in a positive light. For instance, Brooklyn's parents live in a commune. While Brooklyn made some comments about how their lifestyle was a bit cringe worthy at times, she also loves them, listens to their advice, and shares that she learned a lot from them and the people at the commune throughout her life. 

At the time I'm writing this review, there are 17 books in this series. I own 9 of them so far. I'm definitely going to read my way through this whole series! Already starting book 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment