Monday, October 7, 2024

REVIEW: Pulp Friction

 Pulp Friction
Author: Julie Anne Lindsey


I'm loving this series! Pulp Friction is the second book in the 3-part Cider Shop Mystery series.

Winnie Montgomery has opened her Cider Shop on her grandma's apple orchard. She can finally market her hand-crafted ciders from her refurbished and remodeled barn on the property. But trouble seems to be following her....even after solving the murder that happened in the first book, strange happenings are still happening at Smythe Orchards. 

This time, the orchard hosts a wedding party...but one party member doesn't survive the night. And someone close to Winnie is the main suspect. Seems like every time Winnie just wants to get down to business and make cider, a dead body pops up. 

Great second book in this series! And yummy recipes in the back! 

I love the setting for this series. An apple orchard that does public tours and events with a barn that opens daily as a cider shop. What a cool place! I would go there if it were a real business and anywhere near where I live! I like the side characters. Granny is awesome. The former boyfriend is a perfect annoyance for the main character. The best friend/animal lover fits right into the plot. And the two kittens are a cute addition for some humor. The cranky sheriff is a bit of a trope, but works into the story perfectly. Winnie is a great main character. She's independent, intelligent and a good amateur sleuth, although her stealth mode isn't nearly as great as she believes it is (The Sheriff tends to always know she's at it again). 

Great story! Luckily, I have book 3 on my TBR bookshelf -- already got it down and getting ready to dive in. 

I really really hope that this is a finished series and not just one that the publisher dropped. A few years back several big publishers dropped cozy series contracts.....and several series I was in the middle of reading just ended abruptly. Really made me mad! This genre is very popular, and authors deserve to get to finish what they start and continue their creativity. Book 3 is the final book -- if it ends on an unsolved cliffhanger, I am going to be so sad. We shall see!! I was curious enough to send a quick message to the author and ask. I will edit this review and add her response if I hear back from her. 

I like this author's writing style. She has other series (including a Christmas Tree Farm series I really want to read!) and I'm definitely going to check them out! You should, too!! Warning -- reading these books will make you crave cider and apples! I don't usually eat many apples...and found myself ordering honeycrisp and gala from the local CSA supplier I buy my veggies from. :) Got my cinnamon and cloves out and I'm baking an apple for lunch today! Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment