Thursday, August 11, 2016

REVIEW: A Catered Tea Party

A Catered Tea Party
Author: Isis Crawford

**I was provided with a copy of this book by Kensington Publishing via NetGalley in return for an honest, fair review.**

While I love cozy mysteries and prior books in this series, A Catered Tea Party just wasn't my cup of tea.

Why?

I didn't care for the main characters' behavior. Libby spent the entire book whining. And Bernie just came off as rude and loud. Bleck. I'd like the old Libby and Bernie back....sure they have their differences, but in prior books, it worked. In this one....it just had the wrong vibe. More whiny and spoiled rather than two sisters playing off each other.

The plot was slow, and I just never really got "into'' the story.  The plot seemed contrived. I didn't find  it believable that a man would spend $2 million dollars on a teapot then use it as a prop during a play. Who spends $2 million on a teapot? And wouldn't you keep the silly thing under lock and key after spending that much money? I do realize that in cozy mysteries you have to suspend disbelief at times and just let the plot be fun....but for me, I just couldn't seem to do it this time.

But, it was not entirely a disappointment. When it comes to the sisters' behavior in this book, I think the author was just trying to get across the point that the girls don't like their father's girlfriend. And who wouldn't behave a bit "off'' after watching a billionaire electrocute himself to death with a booby-trapped teapot?

The ending was exciting and I didn't figure out everything before the end. So, the mystery portion of the plot was interesting, and not overly simple.

For me this was just ok. Given my enjoyment of other books in this series, it was a bit of a disappointment. I will be first in line to read the next book though! For readers who haven't read prior books in this series, I highly recommend this mystery series as a whole!  Yummy recipes, murderous mystery. and humor. The books are just fun to read! This latest one was just a bit meh for me.  It happens sometimes.

A Catered Tea Party is the 12th book in the A Mystery with Recipes series. Isis Crawford is a pen-name used by Barbara Block, author of the Robin Light Mystery Series. Check our her website at: www.isiscrawford.com






No comments:

Post a Comment