Thursday, August 4, 2016

REVIEW: Death of a Pumpkin Carver by Lee Hollis

Death of a Pumpkin Carver
Author: Lee Hollis
Publication Date: 8/30/16

**I was given a copy of this upcoming book from Kensington Press via NetGalley in exchange for a fair, honest review**

Food and cocktails columnist, Hayley Powell is gearing up for Halloween (and Pumpkin Spice season!!!) in Bar Harbor, Maine when she discovers her wayward ex-husband, Danny, is back in town. While the treat is her kids getting to spend time with their dad, she wonders what tricks are behind his sudden visit.  When Danny's moonshine brewing Uncle Otis is discovered dead in the local cemetery and shady mobsters appear in town, Hayley finds herself once again trailing after a killer.

Death of a Pumpkin Carver is the 8th book in the Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails series. It is not necessary to read this series in order, but it might be advisable in order to be familiar with all of the characters and situations. I haven't read any of the other books in this series yet, and I was able to follow the plot just fine. But, now I want to read the rest of this series so I know what led up to some of the situations between characters in this book! I've already ordered book 1! :)


This book was a delightful mix of humor, Halloween fun, and murder mystery. I liked how Hollis included columns written by the main character telling anecdotes and stories from Hayley's life, followed by fall theme recipes for all sorts of different foods and cocktails. I'm definitely going to try the pumpkin soup recipe!

The mystery and several sub-plots are well written and interesting. The story kept my attention throughout. Fall is my favorite season, and I am a sucker for all things pumpkin, so I loved the recipes included in this book! This is the first cozy I've read that included cocktail recipes! I love it when culinary cozies include recipes for more than just desserts. Death Among the Doilies includes recipes for main courses, desserts and cocktails. All pumpkin/fall themed recipes! Love it!

The cover art for this book is delightful! :)

All in all, a fun read! It made me really look forward to fall (pumpkin spice!!!!!)

Lee Hollis is the pen name for writing duo, Rick Copp and his sister Holly Simason. Find out more about their books at http://www.leehollismysteries.com/     Death of a Pumpkin Carver has a release date of August 30th, 2016.





No comments:

Post a Comment