Thursday, March 2, 2017

REVIEW: The Dollhouse Murders

The Dollhouse Murders
Author: Betty Ren Wright

I've been stuck inside the house for several days now battling bronchitis. Cabin fever is really settling in. I want to be out and about....doing almost anything away from the house. But, I'm still too sick to wander very far.

Sigh.

This morning I was perusing my local library's online digital offerings when I noticed some middle-grade books popping up on my recommendations list. My son and I had been looking for some things for him to read the other night....so there was a long string of children's mystery and suspense novels popping up. It perked up my mood immediately! I love ghost stories and sometimes middle-grade versions are just incredi-awesome!

What a perfect way to spend a rainy afternoon when I'm stuck inside again with only bottles of medicine and sleeping pets to keep me company! I picked out a couple and found the quick reads to be absolutely and wonderfully entertaining!

The first middle-grade book I chose is The Dollhouse Murders by Betty Ren Wright.

The basics: Amy feels trapped sometimes when she has to watch her sister Louann after school. Louann suffers from brain-damage and requires constant supervision. Amy loves her sister but sometimes she wants to be able to do things with her friends without having to watch Louann. One night after an argument with her mother, Amy walks to her Aunt Clare's house, and asks to spend a few days there with her aunt. Just a little break....that's what she needs. Little does Amy know that the dollhouse she discovers in the attic will pull her into family secrets and a 30 year old mystery.

This was such a fun book! The mystery is engaging, and the subplot of Amy's struggle with being responsible for her sister was realistic and interesting. The old house added a layer of creepiness to the tale. Just a fun, quick middle-grade read!

I highly recommend this book for kids and adults who like a bit of suspense and mystery. The ending was perfect. I'm definitely going to read more by this author, and I'm going to recommend this book to my granddaughter.

Before her death in 2013, Betty Ren Wright wrote 25 children's fiction books, including Christina's Ghost and Ghosts Beneath Our Feet. The Dollhouse Murders was first published in the early 80's. It was re-released in 2008, so copies are still readily available from local bookstores or online.

It doesn't matter how old you are.....there are times when children's books can be quite delightful and enjoyable to read! I was ready to spend an entire afternoon bored out of my mind, but instead I was completely entertained and happy! And, I think I have found several books that my granddaughter will love!

No comments:

Post a Comment