Friday, July 21, 2017

REVIEW: Dark Screams - Volume Seven

Dark Screams - Volume Seven
Authors: Various

Dark Screams: Volume Seven is a horror short story collection featuring six creepy stories:

The Lizardman - Robert McCammon. A gator hunter encounters something otherworldly in a dark, Florida swamp.

A Monster Comes to Ashdown Forest - James Renner. Winnie the Pooh and The Hundred Acre Wood take on a sinister twist.

Furtherest - Kaaron Warren. Four beach houses amid the dunes and strange memorials to the dead. A prize for who dares to venture the furtherest.....

West of Matamoros, North of Hell - Brian Hodge. A photo shoot beneath a statue of Santa Muerte leads to bloody terror.

The Expedition - Bill Schweigart.  Nazis on a trek through Romania are pursued by a wolf....or is it something more?

Snow Shadows - Mick Garris.  A teacher realizes his affair with a co-worker was a disastrous mistake with supernatural, deadly consequences.

While I didn't find these stories particularly horrifying, I did enjoy all six of them. My favorite is A Monster Comes to Ashdown Forest. The story gives a great creepy slant to Winnie-The-Pooh. All of the stories in the collection are delightfully creepy and grotesque, but for me, fell a bit short of being actually scary. A better term might be unsettling....or maybe disturbing. The collection was definitely enjoyable and I look forward to the next volume of stories!

This was my first visit to Dark Screams. I will definitely be reading the first six collections, and look forward to any future ones! I hope some are a bit more scary than these stories....but, in this case, creepy and disturbing is still enjoyable for this horror fan.

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy from Random House Publishing via NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.**




No comments:

Post a Comment