Tuesday, July 11, 2017

REVIEW: Two Nights

Two Nights
Author: Kathy Reichs

I'm a long-time fan of Reichs' Temperance Brennan series, so when I saw that she had a new stand-alone novel coming out, I just had to read it.

The main character, Sunday "Sunnie'' Night is a recluse, living on an island off the SC coast by choice, following a severe injury that ended her law enforcement career. Her foster father is worried about her, so he recommends she take a case looking for a woman's missing granddaughter. The case is a lot more complex than just a missing teenager. The girl's mother and brother were killed in a bombing attack on a Jewish school. The missing girl was with them that day, but disappeared. Their grandmother is a wealthy and powerful woman....she wants to know who killed her daughter and grandson and where her granddaughter is. Sunnie takes the case, not for the money, but to help the teenage girl. The case quickly heats up....Sunnie is followed, shot and attacked multiple times as she starts her investigation. Is the missing girl, Stella, alive? Dead? Who took her and why?

I have mixed emotions about this book.

On the one hand, I love a good action-thriller story. The premise is exciting and there were some great action sections to the plot. The main character, Sunnie, is gritty, intelligent and capable. Her military and police training keep her in top form as she uncovers clues that this could be a much more involved case than she first thought.

But....there were times when I feel the plot was just a bit too much. Over-done. Not believable. Overly dramatic. Sunnie has so many demons from her past that I never really found a connection with her. Maybe if more details about her issues had been provided earlier in the story I might have understood her a bit more? That portion of the plot was just too slow to develop, and comes in fits and starts. A bit here. A bit there. More development of her character and information on her past earlier in the story and I might have been a bit more into it.

As it is, this is a departure from the typical Reichs' novel. It is a gritty, action-filled PI story. The book is well-written, as are all Reichs' books. I just think maybe it isn't a good fit for me. Sunnie Night just didn't grab my attention and emotions. I did enjoy the book. The basic plot was interesting and I wanted to find out what happened to Stella. But, I just really don't like the main character. I'm not sure if Reichs intends to make this a series....but, if so, it isn't one I'm going to pursue.

But, I do recommend that readers who enjoy PI thriller novels give this one a try! It's not my cup of tea....but it just might be the perfect summer thriller for someone else! Interesting plot. Great action scenes. And thrilling conclusion!

For more information on the author and her books, check out her website: http://kathyreichs.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment