Sunday, October 8, 2017

REVIEW: The Couple Next Door

The Couple Next Door
Author: Shari Lapena

When I read the book blurb about this story, I decided it was a perfect read for October. When autumn is in the air, I love a good thrilling suspense story! I took the book with me to a hair appointment this week. Normally I hate when I have to have my color completely refreshed....it takes 3 hours (darn grays messing up my mojo!). There just aren't enough interesting articles in 3 year old copies of People Magazine to fill 3 hours. But, the time just whizzed by.....I finished the book by the time she was on the last step...putting in my signature blue stripe. The last 30 minutes I just sat in the chair while the stylist finished up.....mulling over the whopper of an ending. Yeah.....total holy crap ending. (I actually said "Holy crap'' as I finished reading and then had to explain I was talking about the book ending and not what my hair looked like....lol....did not want to cause stylist angst.)

The basics:  Ann and Marco live in the 'burbs. They're going next door for dinner and drinks with the neighbors, but at the last minute their babysitter cancels. What to do? The slightly bitchy wife next door, Cynthia, doesn't like how much their baby girl cries and specifically told them not to bring her over. They decide to leave Cora in her bed, take the baby monitor over to Cynthia and Graham's house, and they will take turns coming over every half an hour to check on Baby Cora.

Worst. Decision. Ever.

At first, all is fine. 11pm. 11:30pm. 12. 12:30.......

But when Ann goes back home at 1 to check on the baby.....

She's gone.

Ann's entire world begins to fall apart. She has suffered from post-partum depression but she still loves little Cora. She didn't want to leave the baby home alone. It was Marco. She blames Marco. And the police suspect that one, or perhaps both of them, may have killed their child. 

What happened to Cora? Did someone abduct her? Kidnappers? Or did Ann or Marco harm their child?

Many, many twists and turns in this story. I couldn't put it down. Even if I hadn't been stuck in a hairdresser's chair all afternoon, I still would have been completely mesmerized by this book.

As a mother, this was difficult for me to read. I have no clue what I would do if my child disappeared......but I never would have left any of my babies at home for any reason. Especially not to go drink with douche neighbors.

All in all, a nice suspense read. Definitely surprised me in the end. No spoilers here -- read the book!

I immediately went to my local library and checked out the other suspense novel by Shari Lapena -- A Stranger in The House. Can't wait to start reading it!


No comments:

Post a Comment