Monday, October 23, 2017

REVIEW: A Plague of Giants

A Plague of Giants
Author: Kevin Hearne

I am a huge fan of Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series. When I heard he was starting a new high fantasy series, I was so excited! I totally jumped at the chance to get my hands on an advanced reader copy of this book. I cleared my schedule and spent two days just devouring this book.....total binge reading!

Sometimes when a favorite author goes in a totally new direction, it's a hard change. There have been times that I was so engrossed in a series that ended after multiple books that I just needed a break from that author, or was just unable to make the transition to a new, different series. As a big Iron Druid fan, it took me a day or two after I got the digital ARC for this book to build up the courage to start reading. But once I started....I couldn't stop.

Wow! I loved this book! It is totally different from Iron Druid -- don't expect it to be similar in any way.  Best to approach this series as something totally new.

Hearne creates a world filled with magic that is invaded by giants. The tale of the war and the aftermath of battles is told by a bard, Fintan. Over the space of 19 days, Fintan tells the story of the Giants invasion, taking on the appearance of different leaders, victims and heroes as he does so. His storytelling is magical and mesmerizing.

Usually I am not a fan of multiple, changing points of view, but Hearne weaves his story well and this time, it worked. The story of invaders, death, fear, destroyed cities, victory and defeat.....all of the many aspects of war....... really worked well with the changing points of view and Fintan morphing into one character after another during his performances in the City of Pelemyn.

This book is high fantasy. Hearne delivers a detailed, exquisite world ravaged by war, yet where there is still hope for humankind. I'm not going to divulge much about the plot because each reader needs to have the story unfold for themselves. For me, I could see each scene playing in my head like a movie for the imagination. My favorite character, hands down, is the tidal mariner. Her duty is to protect the city's port. She glides through the water looking for trouble, and when she finds it, she can magically manipulate water. Her kenning comes at a price (as for all who wield magic in this world). The more magic she uses, the faster she ages. She might go in the water in her mid 30's, but come out much older.

All in all, a beautifully complex and engaging fantasy tale! I can't wait for more books in this series! I want to know what happens next! A Plague of Giants is the first book in a trilogy, The Seven Kennings. The other books in the series will be titled A Blight of Blackwings and A Curse of Krakens.

The cover art for this first book in the trilogy is supremely awesome!

With the final book in the Iron Druid series slated to come out in 2018, I wondered what fantasy series could possibly fill the void left in my fantasy genre reading. I think I've found it. The fact that it's also written by Hearne makes it perfect. The Seven Kennings is totally different from The Iron Druid, but magical and mesmerizing!

For more information on Kevin Hearne and his books, check out his website: https://kevinhearne.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment