Friday, October 20, 2017

REVIEW: Dark Matter

Dark Matter
Author: Blake Crouch

Jason Dessen is married. He and his wife have a teenage son. He teaches college. His life is happy for the most part, although he sometimes looks back and feels a bit of regret about decisions he made. Those regrets that all adults feel sometimes. The What-Ifs.

Then one night on the way home from congratulating a colleague for winning an award, he purchases ice cream and heads home to dinner with his family.  And this is where his life takes a drastic turn -- he will never make it home to dinner. A stranger kidnaps him, and asks him a strange question.....

Are you happy with your life?

Jason Dessen lies unconscious after the strange attack. When he wakes up, he realizes his life will never be the same again. Nothing will be the same.

Wow.......Blake Crouch has totally blown my mind. Again.

I listened to the audiobook version of Dark Matter. It had me hooked immediately. The idea of the multiverse is just mind-numbingly interesting to me. And it made this story creepily suspenseful and terrifying. Usually when I'm listening to an audiobook I have to backtrack multiple times and re-listen to sections because my attention wandered and I missed part of the story. I didn't have to do that a single time with his particular book -- the story grabbed my attention and I wanted to hear every word. I used all the spare moments I could find. I listened when I took the dog out to do her business. I listened while driving and while waiting in car line at my son's school. I listened while doing the dishes and cooking meals. I listened while in the bath tub. And I even listened for a few minutes each night before going to sleep. No backtracking....this was 8 hours of completely enjoyable listening for me. Perfect book for cool October nights......a creepy thrill ride.

The audiobook version is narrated by Jon Lindstrom. I have partial hearing loss which can sometimes be an issue when it comes to understanding audiobooks. Lindstrom's voice, reading pace and tone are perfect. I had no problem hearing and understanding him. The book runs just over 10 hours. It took me about a week to finish it because I don't binge-listen. :)

I totally recommend this book to readers who enjoy sci-fi, thrillers and suspense! I don't often give 5 star ratings to books, but this one earns a perfect score from me.

For more information on Blake Crouch and his books,check out his website: http://www.blakecrouch.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment