Sunday, March 14, 2021

REVIEW: Mountain Man - Safari

 Mountain Man: Safari
Author: Kevin Blackmore


Gus Berry. He was a house painter...an average joe...an overweight, middle-aged white guy. And then the zombies came. Now, Gus is still an overweight, middle aged white guy but add survivor, heavy drinker and slightly insane to the list. Well, maybe more than slightly insane...his best friend is Captain Morgan off the label of his favorite bottle of rum. He talks to Morgan and Morgan talks back. That's pretty insane, right?  But I can't fault the guy...with dead people roaming around wanting to kill him and other survivors being just as dangerous, having a buddy is important, even if it's a fake pirate off a rum label. 

I enjoyed this second book in the Mountain Man series. But I have to say that I wanted to hop into the book and slap some sense into Gus. He gets an idea into his head....fueled by loneliness, booze and burgeoning mental issues, and makes some real strange decisions in this story. But...given the character and the situation, I didn't have a problem with his actions. It certainly kept the action going! Nope -- not going to say what his decisions were....you have to read or listen to the book! I will say.....he follows it through to the very end. Go big or be zombie food!

I didn't expect the ending....I love it when a zombie story has some surprises for me. The book definitely kept my attention from start to finish. I don't usually binge a series, but I enjoyed book 1 so much I went right into book 2! 

I listened to the audio book version of this story. Narrated by R. C. Bray, the audio is a bit over 7 hours long. Bray is an excellent narrator! He has definitely joined the ranks of my favorites now! He brings the character to life and does a superb job of voice acting!

This series is gritty and most likely not for some readers. Gus is a foul-mouthed drunk who obsesses about finding toilet paper, the condition of his balls, his liquor supply and killing deadheads. Not necessarily in that order. 

Enjoying this series! Definitely continuing with the audio books -- I love R.C. Bray's narration! 

No comments:

Post a Comment