Tuesday, February 1, 2022

REVIEW: Bright Ruined Things

 Bright Ruined Things
Author: Samantha Cohoe


A magical island. A storm that strands a ship's crew. A sorcerer who controls the magic. This YA fantasy novel is based thinly on Shakespeare's play The Tempest -- mostly just with names and a few setting and plot elements. 

A mix of magic and drama, the story unfolds as Mae is turning 18. She's an orphan, but her father before his death served the Prospero family. Mae longs to belong and to find her place in the world, but.....it's complicated. It's like a teenage soap opera set on a fantastical, magic island. The drama did get a bit overpowering at times, but overall I enjoyed this book. 

The intended audience for this book is definitely YA. It was an enjoyable read for me as well....just a bit heavy on the drama at times. 

This is the first book I've read by this author. I look forward to more! The coverart is awesome! Very attractive book! 

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from St Martin's Press. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**


No comments:

Post a Comment