Saturday, May 20, 2023

REVIEW: The Old Lion

 The Old Lion
Author: Jeff Shaara



I must admit that prior to reading this book, I had very little knowledge of Teddy Roosevelt beyond a bit about the Spanish-American War, the legend of the Teddy Bear, and his being elected president. I love learning more about history and influential historical figures...so jumped right on this book.

As I read, I had to smile a few times, as my thoughts turned to what it would be like to be at a dinner party with a man like Teddy Roosevelt. He would be the guy with a response to everything - "Oh, I did that once....'' or a one-up for anybody's story. The difference between Teddy and That Guy (we have all met That Guy at one party/dinner/social gathering or another -- you know the type I mean) is that Teddy actually did all those things -- climbed the mountains, fought the war, hunted the dangerous predator in the wilds, traveled to the jungle, faced death, etc. The man even finished a public speech after being shot by a would-be assassin. Who the hell does that?? Teddy Roosevelt, that's who. His one-ups wouldn't just be BS -- he did the things. [I also kept thinking about the movie Arsenic and Old Lace with the mentally ill brother who thought he was Teddy Roosevelt, blowing his trumpet in the house to charge up the stairs and burying "yellow fever victims" in the basement for his murderous sisters. I think Teddy would have seen the humor in the portrayal.]

I definitely enjoyed reading this book about a larger-than-life man who really lived his life. He lived the complete hell out of life, and I'm sure enjoyed every moment. 

Great book! This isn't a dry regurgitation of historical facts. Shaara keeps it interesting. This book kept my attention from start to finish. Well done! Bully! I will definitely be reading more by this author!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from St. Martins Press. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**


No comments:

Post a Comment