Saturday, August 26, 2023

REVIEW: Hansel & Gretel

 Hansel & Gretel
Adaptation: Neil Gaiman
Illustrations: Lorenzo Mattotti


I didn't realize that this graphic novel existed until I was searching around online for cool creepy reads to start my spooky season reading. Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite writers, and Hansel & Gretel is a freaking nightmare of a fairy tale. I went onto my local library's online site and found they did have it listed, but that their copy had gone missing. I requested they replace the copy.....flash forward about a month and I had a fresh new copy of this dark graphic story book in my hands. 

Wow! I remember this story of a witch kidnapping two children abandoned in the forest creeping me out as a kid, but done in Gaiman and Mattotti style it takes on an even darker edge. The illustrations are done all in black and Gaiman added war to the already dark themes of this classic Grimm Brothers tale.


Loved it! At 52 pages, it's a very quick read. There are many very dark illustrations. 

This was a fabulous graphic art book to start my spooky reading season! Gaiman keeps the original dark feeling of the story and expands on it a bit, making a war and impending starvation the reason why the children are abandoned in the forest. 

Mattotti's illustrations are fabulous! They definitely fit the dark theme of this story. I love the lines and dark simplicity of the drawings.

The last two pages of the book give a bit of background and history on the story of Hansel & Gretel. Very cool! 

Definitely a great book to kick off my annual Spooky/Halloween season reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment