Sunday, August 27, 2023

REVIEW: The Stranger Upstairs

 The Stranger Upstairs
Author: Lisa Matlin


Sarah's life is getting a bit chaotic. Her marriage is having trouble, and she has a lot on her plate with her career as a social influencer and therapist. So she and her husband embark on a project -- to renovate a house. But not just any house -- a murder house. A house infamous as the site of a murder/suicide. Even after 40 years, the house still has a sinister vibe. And, then strange things start to happen. Construction workers acting strangely. Weird accidents. Foosteps in the attic.....

I'm not sure I could buy an infamous house and renovate or live in it. I think I would constantly be thinking a person died in this room or that room, or imagine how scared they were, etc etc. My feelings about how I would react in a similar situation really made this story ultra-creepy for me. I ended up not being able to put the book down once I got into the story. I spent an entire Saturday binge reading this story!

I'm not going to say anything else about the plot. I recommend avoiding any spoilers. Go into this book like I did with very little information and just let the story unfold. 

Great, creepy and twisted story! I loved it! It would make a great movie! This was a perfect book to read as I begin my annual Spooky Season Reading. :)

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Random House/Ballantine. All opinions expressed are entirely my own**

No comments:

Post a Comment