Friday, May 3, 2019

REVIEW: Coffee Treacle Murder

Coffee Treacle Murder
Author: Susan Gillard

Coffee Treacle Murder is the 24th book in the Donut Hole cozy mystery series.

Geoff Lawless is in trouble....again. Heather Shepherd and her bestie Amy are on the case after a man is attacked and seriously injured by a rock hard fudge ball in Geoff's doughnut shop. Geoff's doughnuts are infamously bad....and he is noticeably absent following the attack on Billy Bolde. The girls skillfully juggle responsibilities at Heather's shop, Donut Delights (where the doughnuts are actually awesome and tasty, unlike Geoff's) and sleuthing on the side. Heather actually wants to clear Geoff's name. He is her competition (sort of)and nemesis, but she has grown a bit fond of him and doesn't want to see him charged with a murder he didn't commit.

I have a soft place in my heart for this self-published series. The first book in the Donut Hole Mystery series was the first book I downloaded to my first Kindle. So I'm working my way through all the books, determined to read the entire series. It might take me awhile....there are 60 books in the Donut Hole Mystery series. Don't let that put you off trying the series....the books are short, easy reads. There is also a spin-off series, the Oceanside Cozy Mystery series, which has 58 books. I have a lot of reading to do!

I do like this series. I enjoy the doughnut background theme -- each story works in a new doughnut flavor from Donut Delights and has a pretty, frosted doughnut on the cover. And the characters are fun and quirky. The writing at times is a bit clunky, and there are some editing issues in places. But, for the most part, these are fun-to-read, light cozy mysteries. No sex. No cussing. No spurting blood. Simple plots. Nothing too extreme. I'm willing to overlook some minor editing and writing problems. This was my first ebook, indy cozy series after all.....you never abandon the first! :) I'm here for the duration. I might be reading for a long time! I have 36 books to go in this series....and then another 58 Oceanside books! That's a lot of doughnuts!

I'm not really into sweets since I can't have much sugar in my diet. So I will admit that I had to look up "treacle'' -- Molasses! A coffee/espresso and molasses flavored doughnut sounds really yummy!

All in all, a cute read. The murder weapon forced me to suspend reality just a bit.....but hey....why not. Geoff's doughnuts are really bad....but they make great murder weapons! Maybe he should make fudge bullets?

Both series are available to read for free with Kindle Unlimited. They are also available for purchase, and in paperback format. Give the series a try -- literary doughnuts have no calories! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment