Sunday, May 26, 2019

REVIEW: The Department of Sensitive Crimes

The Department of Sensitive Crimes
Author: Alexander McCall Smith

I firmly believe every avid reader has a list of authors they really, really want to read....but never seem to get around to actually picking up a book. I know I'm guilty of this. I could probably list at least 10 writers that intrigue me and really want to read their work, but I'm drowning in the ocean of my TBR and never seem to get to that list of new-to-me writers.

Alexander McCall Smith is on that list. For years, I have heard about his No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books, but have just never gotten around to actually reading the series. I even bought the first book. It still languishes on my bookshelf, waiting for some love. And, while I have been swimming in my TBR, the series has blossomed to 20 books. Sigh. I feel like the debutante who is always late to the ball.

Just when I was wondering if I would ever actually read anything by this author, a strange bright red cover caught my eye. The Department of Sensitive Crimes. After I read the blurb, I knew I was finally going to finally read Alexander McCall Smith. A tongue in cheek, humorous book about a Swedish police department that handles unusual and strange cases. How could I resist? TBR list be damned.....this book jumped line right to the top.

Peppered with anecdotes about the mental health of dogs, fly fishing, the psychology of imaginary friends, and even the supernatural, this book was incredibly fun and enjoyable! It was like Harry Hole with much less blood, alcohol and death.

This book is unusual. The story is convoluted, oftentimes absurd...but INCREDIBLE. I listened to the audio book and had the best time! I'm sure my neighbors wondered why I was digging in my garden and laughing. Detective Ulf Varg and his co-workers were great company while I was grubbing out nefarious weeds.

The story winds its way through three cases....a stabbing, a disappearance, and some strange goings on. Ulf and his fellow investigators take their job quite seriously and work to unravel the truth in each case. For me, I saw this as a more realistic depiction of law enforcement than the more exciting thriller-suspense stories. Cops do a lot of paperwork, phone calls, research....it isn't all excitement. And most cases are mundane, or just interesting, rather than exciting.

Sometimes it is refreshing to read a book that brings a smile. This book was a nice bit of brain candy for me. Loved it! It is well-written, amusing, and enjoyable. This is NOT a detective thriller.....don't expect gun play, fast-paced excitement and a hard investigation. This book is about the characters, about humanity and the absurdities that happen in life.

The audio book is narrated by David Rintoul and runs just over 7 hours. Rintoul has a nice voice and gave a superb performance. I have hearing loss, but was easily able to hear and understand the entire book.

I officially love Alexander McCall Smith. And I'm going to read The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency ASAP. I'm sorry I waited so long!

No comments:

Post a Comment