Wednesday, May 1, 2019

REVIEW: The Moor

The Moor
Author: Sam Haysom

Since 1951, teenagers have been going missing in Rutmoor National Park. Kids on school outings, campers, hikers....gone. Usually without a trace. Matt was on a trip where two of his friends disappeared. Only he and two others know the truth about what happened that day....the horrible truth.

I enjoyed the suspense of this story. It builds slowly and then the truth jumps out. When I realized what was going on...yikes! The ending caught me by surprise. Nice touch! I will definitely be looking behind me next time I go camping or hiking in the woods. I never sleep very well when tent camping. Anything could be out there in the dark.....animals, weirdos.....anything.

Nice, quick creepy read. This is Sam Haysom's debut novel. Definitely willing to read more by this author. This first book is well-written and absolutely creepy! I found it interesting that publication of this book was financed (at least in part) by donations received through a crowdfunding site. I see this as an interesting trend, and the author listed his patrons at the front of the book. Haysom added info about the site as well. Authors share a blurb about their book and visitors to the site can donate towards its publication if they choose. When enough sponsors are received to publish the book, it is released in a special sponsors edition, plus a regular edition and ebook formats. Interesting concept. Sponsorship sites are nothing new. Patreon and similar sites have been around for awhile. I like the basic concept because it helps authors get their work published. I just hate the constant posts, DM spam, and sponsorship begging from authors (and even podcasters).  But....I'm chasing rabbits a bit. This is a book review....back on track!

Great book! I hope to read more by this author!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Unbound Digital via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment