Tuesday, May 14, 2019

REVIEW: Stoker's Wilde

Stoker's Wilde
Authors: Steven Hopstaken & Melissa Prussi

A mysterious man called the Black Bishop is using supernatural means to cause murder and mayhem in Victorian England. An unlikely duo...Bram Stoker and Oscar Wilde....join forces with an expert on vampires and other supernatural creatures to battle the Black Bishop before he can open the gates of hell itself.

This novel is a sweet mix of supernatural horror and Victorian social commentary. There's a little bit of everything in the  mix -- vampires, werewolves, cultists -- not to mention imprisonment under morality laws and forced social conformity. When I first started reading I wasn't sure I was going to like this book....the plot line just seemed a bit too much. But....it didn't take long for me to get totally pulled into the story. This book surprised me! A group of monster hunters formed by two famous authors before their fame took hold, a European expert on supernatural cults, and theater actors is an incredibly difficult thing to pull off -- but these two authors did it well! The story is told through the correspondence of Stoker and Wilde. It was reminiscent of Dracula. Normally I don't really like epistolary novels...but in this case, it works. Loved it! 

I will definitely be looking for more by both of these writers. Very enjoyable read! A dash of the truth mixed with a bit of the fantastical smothered in a nice dose of classic monster horror -- very entertaining book!

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Flame Tree Press via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment