Saturday, August 13, 2022

REVIEW: Locke & Key Vol 1: Welcome to Lovecraft

 Locke & Key Vol 1: Welcome to Lovecraft
Author: Joe Hill


Well, first off, I have to admit that I sort of bent my reading rules. I usually have a cast in stone personal rule that before I watch an adaptation of a story that started as a book/comic/graphic novel that I have to read the original version first. I've been wanting to read and watch Netflix's adaptation of this comic/graphic novel series for a long time, but never got around to it. Then I got an email this week that season 3 of the show was available to watch.

Season 3.

It was time to finally jump into this story. So, not wanting to totally just disregard my usual rule, I actually read the graphic novel on my PC and watched season 1 of the show at the same time (thank you Hoopla for the lovely ability to magnify comic pages). When the show catches up, I will check out the next volume and do the same.

I was a bit afraid when I first started reading that I might be disappointed. In the past I have waited years to enjoy a story and it hasn't lived up to the personal hype / anticipation I created for myself. But this time, I was pleasantly surprised. The artwork is gloriously dark and foreboding. The plot and art is Lovecraft level bloody, gloomy, and creepy. But I sort of knew it would be -- Joe Hill never disappoints me. And I have a deep appreciation for Gabriel Rodriguez' art.  I was loving my ability to zoom in and look at the characters, things in the background, and all aspects of the art on each page. I love physical copies of graphic novels, but in this case, the digital version was awesome-sauce as well. I saw a lot more of the nuances in the art than I would have reading my physical copy.

So, I only bent my rules as I did finish the ebook of this graphic novel before I got very far into the show. There are some differences between the show and the book, of course. Television builds suspense and horror nuances a lot differently than a person's mind does while reading a book. I didn't have a problem with any of the changes in the first episodes of the show. I didn't understand why they changed a few things and added some others.....but it wasn't anything so severe as to annoy me too badly.

I will let the show catch up to the comic.....and then get the next Volume on Hoopla.

Excellent so far!!


No comments:

Post a Comment