The Other Bennet Sister
Author: Janice Hadlow
I broke a major personal rule with this book.
I watched the television show first.
But....I have a valid excuse. When I saw an ad for the show on BritBox, I was just so excited I couldn't wait to read the book. And, the waiting list for the book (even ebooks and audio) at my local libraries was long.
So, it was either bend the rules or....wait weeks on a waiting list....read the book....then watch the show.
I just couldn't wait.
I mean ... .what if aliens invade? Or the zombie apocalypse starts?
I can't battle zombies if I don't know what happens to Mary Bennett!!
[Yes, I am making excuses. As a community of readers and Austen fans, please enable me.]
While I waited on the hold list at the library, I watched episodes of the show. BritBox was stingy and only released one episode per week. And of course every episode ended with a cliff hanger. Grrrr.
But.....I have finally watched all of the show. And, I caved and used a credit to get the audio book on Audible. After the show, I knew it was an audio book I would listen to again, so worth the credit.
I love x 10 this story!
Mary Bennet finally gets a voice!
I absolutely enjoyed every part of this book.
I've read several Pride and Prejudice-related books. And pretty much hated all of them, but this one.
From weird sex scenes to characters acting in ways that Austen never intended, I just DNF'd so many P&P continuation attempts or finished with many grumblings and unhappy emotions. I did enjoy Pride & Prejudice & Zombies...because fun!
But this time (FINALLY!), I was supremely happy and engaged the entire time! Mary has a real voice in this book. She says how SHE feels and why.....she learns to speak up for herself.....and she becomes an important character not just a side note for her older sisters.
The show did a good job at adapting this book, The casting IMHO was perfect. Each episode was engaging, and they only did 10 episodes. They didn't string it out into long episodes or a second season by padding the story. They did add in some drama/tension, but it worked. I wasn't bothered by it, but I did notice the differences as I listened to the audiobook.
I was very excited when I heard they are going to revisit the characters with a 3 episode Christmas special!! I can't wait!

No comments:
Post a Comment