Tuesday, August 22, 2017

REVIEW: Drop Dead

Drop Dead
Author: Lorna Poplak

Drop Dead: A Horrible History of Hanging in Canada gives an outline of the death penalty in Canada from 1867 to 1976, when the death penalty was abolished in Canada. There has been debate in Canada about re-establishing the death penalty after serious, hard-hitting cases like the Paul Bernardo murder case. In the 109 years of Canadian capital punishment, 704 Canadians were hanged. 703 hangings were for various crimes like murder, rape, burglary, etc., and 1 for treason.

I am a bit surprised at how engaging, interesting and thought provoking I found this book by Lorna Poplak. She presents stories of the condemned, information on the job of executioner, backgrounds and history of famous executioners, plus the science and art of properly hanging a prisoner without undue suffering. The book also provides thought provoking insights on related issues such as public vs private executions, the debate on the death penalty as crime deterrent or sanctioned revenge killing, botched hangings, executing women, and wrongful convictions.  The book is not ghoulish and does not delight in the history of death by hanging. Instead, it presents balanced information on the practice using historical fact and leaves readers to make their own conclusions about the death penalty.

I enjoyed this book. I am still unsure about my opinion of the death penalty. On the one hand, I believe that justice should fit the crime. But on the other hand, does anyone have the right to take a human life? I'm not sure what the correct answer is.

Anyone interested in the death penalty debate, Canadian history, criminal justice and related topics will enjoy this book. I found it fascinating. The topic is discussed respectfully, without undue gory details or any disrespect towards the condemned or court/law enforcement officials. Drop Dead is a very thought provoking book! I'm glad I read it!

**I voluntarily read an advanced reader copy of this book from Dundurn via NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.**




No comments:

Post a Comment