Thursday, September 7, 2017

REVIEW: Everything, Everything

Everything, Everything
Author: Nicola Yoon

Maddy's disease -- Severe Combined Immunodeficiency -- keeps her separated from the world. Away from everything. No going outside. No physical contact with people. School over the internet. She can watch the world from her window or over the computer.....she she can never experience it herself. Or can she? When new neighbors move in next door, Maddy meets Olly. The boy next door. They exchange messages, and even get to meet each other. Maddy longs to be a normal teenager...to experience life, to fall in love. Love can't kill you, right?

When I finished this book I had to think about it for a few days before I wrote a review. As as adult reviewing YA books I have to take into account the intended audience for the story. I really felt both levels in this story....on the one hand it's a sweet, cute teenage romance. On the other hand there are some real twisted elements here that really bothered me as a parent. So it took me a couple days to let my opinions percolate.

Let's discuss the cute romance first.....

Maddy finds a new friend, and he's sweet and funny. Olly quickly becomes everything to her. It makes her uncomfortable and unhappy in her little controlled bubble though. So she breaks free and finds out that maybe she can have something of the world......lovely story of teenage love. I really enjoyed the cute illustrations and jokes sprinkled in between chapters.

But, I can't leave the darkness (and adult feelings) out.....

Her mother. I can't say anything good about her. Her actions -- unforgiveable. Shitty parent letting her mental illness or whatever horror have a HUGE impact on her child. Not ok. Not ever ok. I can't say more without major spoilers.....so I will just say she tripped my mom angst big time. *Strong urge to punch fictional character in the face, multiple times*

And, I had a bit of sadness at the end....despite Maddy's joy.....because there are actually people in the world that have SCID. They don't get a happy ending......they actually have a disease that will effect their entire life. The adult in me saw the use of SCID as a plot device as a bit......well.....crappy. Again....can't elaborate without spoiling the story....but I hated the fact that the end was totally unrealistic and trope-y. Magical happy ending. Really??

I think, in this case, since the book really did cause me to have some deep thoughts for a couple days before I could write this review that I'm going to stick to the positive. I'm not going to let my adult thoughts on a YA book win the fight this time. I prefer to concentrate on the sweet enjoyable romance rather than wanting to beat the shit out of this girl's craptastic mother. Or the little voice in my head that was saying WTH at the ending......

Girl meets boy. Girl has hope. Boy gains hope. Love wins. Yay!! YA happiness and rainbows. Good feelings all around. I prefer that hopeful feeling.....

(I still want to punch her. Totally.)

Find out more about author Nicola Yoon on her website: http://www.nicolayoon.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment