Sunday, September 24, 2017

REVIEW: The Mountain Between Us

The Mountain Between Us
Author: Charles Martin

I had never heard of this book until I saw a trailer for the movie that will be out soon. The concept sounded interesting, so I put a copy on hold at the library. I picked it up this afternoon and started reading. I couldn't put it down until the last page! Great book!

Ashley Knox and Ben Payne are both waiting for a plane out of Salt Lake City when an incoming snowstorm shuts the airport. Ashley needs to get home because she's getting married and Ben has surgeries to perform. Thinking a charter flight can beat the storm and get them to Denver, Payne hires the pilot of a small prop plane, offering Ashley a ride. Mid-flight the pilot has a heart attack, but manages to control the descent of the plane at least enough to save Ashley and Ben's lives. But they are injured and stranded miles from anywhere on the side of a mountain, just the two of them and the pilot's small dog. Over the next 28 days they struggle to reach civilization and medical treatment, knowing that one mistake could mean they both die. As they struggle to survive, both learn some very important lessons about life, forgiveness and love.

I can't believe I read this book in one sitting. I literally could not put it down. I love to read, but it's a rare event when I find a story that engrosses me so much that I don't want to stop reading. I even read while eating dinner tonight and I never do that. I was so into the story that I could have been eating my napkin and wouldn't have even noticed.

I love adventure stories, and there is plenty of adventure and struggle for survival in this story, but also a lot of emotion, healing and growth for the characters. Ashley learns that "settling'' is not really finding freedom or happiness. And Ben works through his past mistakes and discovers he has to forgive himself for them. Just a nice, "feel good'' sort of story that has some adventure built in and never gets too "sappy.'' This is as close to chick lit as I will ever get.....the outdoor adventure part of the plot made me not mind the emotional parts of the story.

To find out more about Author Charles Martin, check out his website: http://charlesmartinbooks.com/books/the_mountain_between_us#.Wbsw5siGOM8  The movie version (starring Kate Winslet and Idris Elba) releases on October 6, 2017. I'm glad I read the book before the movie comes out.....I hope that they stick to the story Martin wrote. Sometimes movie versions are so disappointing. I'm hoping this one is awesome!



No comments:

Post a Comment