Wednesday, November 1, 2017

REVIEW: Dark Screams Volume 8

Dark Screams, Volume 8
Authors: Various

Dark Screams Volume 8 is an anthology of six literary horror stories from Hydra - Random House. The volumes come out every quarter. I very much enjoyed Volume 7 that released in July 2017....so I happily curled up on the couch with a fresh cup of coffee and a blanket to enjoy this newest edition.

Stories in Volume 8 are:

Walpuski's Typewriter - Frank Darabont.  Howard Walpuski takes his IBM typewriter to the repair shop of the damned, discovering too late it's never wise to hire a demon as a ghost writer.  Great story! Nice opener for this anthology.

The Boy - Bentley Little.  Christine and her husband just bought the perfect house in the suburbs. Their neighbors are all perfect, too....well except for that one boy.  Holy crap....this story....oh my. It isn't really scary....just incredi-disturbing. Nicely done!

Tumor - Benjamin Percy.  He might have survived brain cancer, but his tumor is still hanging around. Um....this story has an ewwww factor of like 9000. Not scary....just gross. lol. Definitely had a creepy effect on me....or was that nausea?

Twisted and Gnarled - Billie Sue Mosiman.  He's a killer, and a genius (or at least he believes he is). Nobody suspects he is the killer leaving dead bodies, bloody and posed, all up and down the coast. Except one woman....the mother of one of his victims. But he knows he is smarter than she is. Hmmm...this one was suspenseful and very darkly demented. When I finished, I had to sit for a moment and collect my thoughts to decide how I felt about this story. Disturbing. Definitely disturbing.

The Palaver - Kealen Patrick Burke. A barber is ready to retire. But then a stranger walks into his shop one night and tells him a tale that gives him a new, and dark, reason to continue. Very creepy story! I loved the stranger's story......yikes! It doesn't pay to dis the new barber in town. Not at all.

India Blue - Glen Hirschberg. Cricket isn't a sport that most Americans follow, but America's Rockin' Cricket game will never be forgotten. To be honest, I didn't finish this story...it just wasn't enjoyable for me. I guess I'm one of those Americans that doesn't understand, or want to read about, Cricket.....even a match with supernatural ramifications. But...just because I didn't like it doesn't mean other readers won't love it. To each their own.

All in all, a nice mix of stories -- quite creepy, disturbing and dark. Only one I didn't care for out of the bunch...I call that a success. I enjoy these strange disturbing story anthologies. The tales vary in style and theme. Most are weird and different....not just resurrected horror tropes. All delightfully nightmare provoking!

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Hydra (Random House). Opinions expressed are entirely my own.**


No comments:

Post a Comment