Thursday, November 16, 2017

REVIEW: A Fatal Collection

A Fatal Collection
Author: Mary Ellen Hughes

Callie Reed travels to Maryland to visit her Aunt Melodie. She hasn't seen her aunt in 10 years. Not only does she want to reconnect with her aunt, but she needs time away to decide what to do about her troubled love life. Her aunt shows her around her music box shop, House of Melody, explaining the long time Reed family tradition of collecting music boxes. House of Melody is one of many collectible shops in Keepsake Cove, catering to the tourist trade on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Aunt Melodie's cottage is located just behind her shop, and the two continue their conversation for hours that night. The next morning Callie is shocked to find her aunt dead in a pool of blood in her shop. The death is ruled accidental. Suddenly Callie finds herself handing funeral arrangements and meeting with Aunt Melodie's attorney instead of spending a peaceful visit with family. Although the death was supposedly caused by a fall, Callie thinks that there is more to it than that. When she is named sole heir to Aunt Melodies shop and cottage, Callie decides to stay in Keepsake Cove. But if someone did kill her aunt, is it safe? She starts hearing her aunt's music box play by itself without being wound up -- is her aunt trying to give hints about who might have killed her and why?

A Fatal Collection is the first book in a new series, Keepsake Cove mysteries. As I read, I kept thinking that I would love visiting Keepsake Cove! A nice lunch at the Keepsake Cafe, followed by leisurely shopping at the various shops. Heaven!  I wonder what interesting goodies I would find? I'm sure I would come home with a lot of great collectibles! :) Realistically speaking, I think shops dedicated solely to the sale of one type of collectible....music boxes, salt and pepper shakers, vintage sewing, etc....would have a hard time making it financially. But....cozy mysteries don't have to be realistic, so those thoughts didn't impede my enjoyment of the story at all.

I enjoy Callie as a main character. She is trying to iron out her life and move past a bad relationship. It's unfortunate that her aunt dies so soon after she arrives, but Callie diligently works to find out what happened to her aunt. I can't wait to see how her character develops as this new series continues. I also like the idea of a music box shop. I have loved music boxes since childhood. I enjoyed reading about all the different boxes in the shop and what songs they played.

The mystery moves along at a nice pace. There are plenty of suspects and some nice twists to the story. I liked the little bit of supernatural edge....it was like a touch of spice added to enhance the flavor of the story. Nice touch. Not overdone.....just a dab will do.

I will definitely be reading more of this series. Great start to a new series!

For more information on the author and her books, check out her website: http://www.maryellenhughes.com/

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Midnight Ink via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**





No comments:

Post a Comment